Thursday, August 5, 2010

In&Around Malacca





Wondering around the streets in the Chinatown section of Malacca I stumbled on some fun curious sites. Had some good food of course and met some crazy-ass locals! I first ventured out looking for a famed pineapple pastry but no one would sell me just one. They only came in boxes of 10 and me being the proper lady I am would never dare eat a whole box of cookies!!!!!! so I just had to go without... and sample all the free pieces instead! (Budget traveler lesson #1)
Then I went to a Buddhist temple that is most famous for prayers for the deceased. They have these little tablets where people write the name of the person who died some attach a photo and they come by and make offerings or burn intents. Some of the photos looked like they had been there for quite a while and I wanted to know about these people. SOme old some young. In some of the photos their faces were so angelic, like the thought of them ever dying could never apply to them. Really moving seeing their photos. It was a beautiful temple with dark lacquered wood carvings intricately covering the entire building. Built back to the early 1600's, right after the Dutch conquered Malacca, it's the oldest Buddhist temple in the city.
Then I stumbled upon a cobbler who has been around for a looooooooooong time and was famous for making the bound shoes that the Chinese women would wear to be in fashion. Strange thing to be proud of I thought but hey I took some picts anyway. They also had some normal sized antique shoes which was cool.
Had some tea at a Chinese tea house hung out with the family for lunch (Bugdet Traveler tip number 2 go to family owned shops around lunch time and get free food! haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment