Thursday, July 15, 2010

Good Morning VietNAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


1am: Flight lands and myself and two other travelers decide to share a cab ride into Hanoi. On the ride in there was an oil fire in the middle of the road. The city began to have this "Day after tomorrow" post apocalyptic feel. There re all these people sitting out in the streets on what looked like children's furniture. For a first timer it was very strange. There were all kinds young people on motos weaving in and out of traffic in 3 inch heels and knock off designer jeans. I couldn't help to think, "these kids are sooo cool"! haha

The traffic is insane in Hanoi (and from what I gather that goes for the rest of Asia as well) there no lanes and no rules. My kind of place hahaha. So far I have seen all of the following take place on a moto: a family of four, a woman on the back of a bike eating pho (Vietnamese soup dish), a woman breastfeeding on the back while her husband drives, and a partridge in a pear tree hahaha jk about the last one. As a pedestrian I was intimidated at first about crossing since there aren't crosswalks or street lights for that mater. After about a day of not crossing any streets I began to feel limited and just decided to go for it. Like anything the first time was rather scary but the second you start to second guess yourself YOU FAIL o in my case die so I didn't look back I just went for it!

Vietnam is a beautiful country, with great architecture, and friendly energetic people. I have been wandering around the steets of Hanoi, Perfume Pagoda, and Halong Bay for the past few days and have gotten a chance to eat many interesting things (most of them I do not (nor do I want to) know what they are! I will try to post some food picts tomorrow. Peace and Love
-m

4 comments:

  1. did you get any pictures of a vietnamese family on a motorbike? i wanna see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the visual of the chaos on the streets in vietnam. such a contrast to the quiet alley-like backstreets of seville. excited for pictures of weird food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to post on this but this later but ill just give you a preview...at the morning market we saw fried frogs, weird rat/ginea pig like creates for sale,fish,chickens etc.

    I like Hanoi but am loving Luang Prabang. This monring I already saw the monks in their alms procession, a temple, morning market, and am off for a massage and to go swim in some waterfalls. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh!! swimming in waterfalls! so cool :) i have to take u to an AMAZING swimming hole we found in LA last week u will love it...surrounded by rocks and u can do cliff jumping! (no water falls although i've heard of another one that has falls).

    as far as the fried frogs n rat/ginea pigs...gross gross gross!

    ReplyDelete