Monday, July 26, 2010

SABI DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Luang Prabang, Laos











Sabi dee is hello in Laotian. So much has happend I don't even know where to begin actually. I arrived in Luang Prabang the 16th and stayed until the 22nd. It was really cool because I met so many fun people staying at the SpicyLaos Hostel. The first day we woke up at 5 in the morning to go see the monks recieve their daily alms or offering from the townspeople. I learned later that the people that give the alms (sticky rice) are actually our equivalent to the "sinners" or people who want to kind of clear their name because they have done bad according to Budhism. Some friends (who were once monks so they are good sources of info) told me that there was a woman who would give alms a couple years ago beacuse she actually turned ïnto"a waterbuffalo because she was killing and selling too many water buffalos at the night market. She died a couple of years ago but many people from the village remeber when this happend. Weird story but that is just one of the many that I heard about when I was weaving at Ock Pop Tok weavnig center. I took a three day course and got to actually dye and weave my own Ikat scarf! The best part was haning out with Laotions all day and picking their brains about the culture. I also got to eat lunches there with all the workers and try authentic Laotion food which is a lot more than sticky rice (though that is a really big component). It was cool getting up each morning and working in the studio because it gave me a feeling of what it might be like to live in a place like Luang Prabang. Dealing with the heat/24hour rain/walking palces. It was great fun and can't wait to go back! My friends Doua and Khun showed me the ropes of the weaving center and would tell me stories to pass the time while I wove. They were both monks for a combined total of 12 years so I got to pick their brains about that fascinating religion.
I also got to climb Kuang Si Falls with some British, Candaians,Lao, and a fellow badass chick from LA. Vistied some temples,took lots of photos, got a massage (90 minutes for 9 dollars US you can't go wrong ;)) ate good food for under 1 US dollar and did some shopping. Sure Luang Prabang is the most tuoristy of the cities I visited but also the most beautiful! I had a great time there; )

2 comments:

  1. finally a post! i love that you spent days making your own scarf and hearing stories while weaving. so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously! i've been WAITING!!! <3 sounds so great tho and love the weaving pic of u on ur FB ;)

    ReplyDelete