Monday, July 26, 2010

Sabi DEEEE Pakse,Laos




Pakse is a little rough around the edges for my liking but had good luck in meeting cool people! When landing in Pakse I saw a HUGE golden Budha from my window and I though that would be a cool thnig to see but was unable to find any information about it in my guide so when I landed I decided to go to the local tourist information center to dig up what I could. When I arrived they suggested things lke going to the local temple or the Museum. I looked over some brouchures and wasn't interested. Pakse was looking like a dead end no wonder why no travels I met had ever been there! But then I remembered the golden Budha and I decided to ask about it. The guy working said it was about 25km away and I could get a tuk tuk driver to take me there so I got him to write the name of the place on a scratch sheet of paper and I was off back to the hotel to get my camera and find a tuk tuk. It couldnt have been more than five minutes of walking till a tuk tuk-like vehicle approached me. Perfect I thought so we agreed on a price and I got in. Rember this is a "tuk-tuk -like vehicle it was more like a motorcycle with a side cart connected. The motorcycle was pertty old grungy and loud, those words could also be used to describe my driveras well. So we stopped to put some gas in the tank (which was a plastic container 6 inches away from my head onm the sidecar). The paved road turned into a red dirt road and I was a little worried but then we arrived to a small village where everyone was carving stone Buddha's just like the one I had seenfrom the air so we must be getting close. Once we got there (I was relieved) I started explornig and taking photos of the impressive monument. I then relaized that you could actually step inside so I went. I was promptly greated by a matronly woman would motioned for me to make a donation and then she gave me a bowl of coins and through sign language showed me to put one coin in each bowl lining the inside of the temple.... there must have been atleast 300 bowls in this place but I thought what the hey I drove 25km to get here might as well pay homage to Budha. When a got about halfway through a spirited young girl popped out of no where and smiled really huge at me and said'"SABYE DEEE!" then she got a bowl and started following me putting a coin in each bowl around the temple. She then showed me how to make the giant gong ring really loudly by rubbing my hand on it diagonally. pretty cool. We said bye and parte ways. Back to Pakse!! My driver turned out to be cooll and would stop for me to get out and take my photographs of cows in the middle of the road and then he showed me around town and to a Taoist temple where I me two Aussies working in Phenom Pehn. SO of course we found a spot to get some beers and have a chat. Moer about Tad Lo, the Austrians, and 4,000 Islands. Miss you!
love,
m

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Megs. Sounds like you're having fun! the tuk-tuks are interesting, aren't they. I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel and wash that gasoline smell off of my hair & clothes. They're an efficient way of traveling, especially when they wait around for you. We asked our driver for suggestions of where to eat in Vietnam & he took us to a local restaurant. Not bad when you're in a new place & don't know anything! te cuidas, mujer =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes tuk-tuks are cool until they start fighting over you!! hahah I think on average I take about 3 showers a day here because it is so hot and humid.... not to mention no A/C in the places Ive been staying in.... they are pretty much like camping. Still having fun though ;)

    ReplyDelete